facebook-pixel

Skyline-Brighton football game canceled after players test positive for COVID-19

(Rick Egan | The Salt Lake Tribune) James Lebaron, Corner Canyon, goes after the ball along to recover a Bingham fumble along with Bingham quarterback Troy Mehn, in prep action between the Bingham Miners and the Corner Canyon Chargers, at Bingham High on Friday, Aug. 28, 2020. On Sunday night, it was learned that the upcoming game between Skyline and Brighton, two teams that boast 6-0 records in 5A, has been canceled due to four players on the Eagles testing positive for the coronavirus, a Granite School District spokesperson told The Tribune. Skyline is canceling all team activities until Oct. 2.

COVID-19 has claimed another high school football game in Utah.

The game between Skyline and Brighton, two teams that boast 6-0 records in 5A, has been canceled due to four players on the Eagles testing positive for the coronavirus, a Granite School District spokesperson told the Salt Lake Tribune. Skyline is canceling all team activities until Oct. 2.

“In July, when we approved our return to school plans, our board committed to our communities and teachers that we would abide by the State Health Department guidance and recommendations," said Karyn Winder, Granite Board of Education President. "We are not inclined to disregard the scientifically based recommendations. Safety for our students, their families, and employees will continue to be paramount above all else.”

The Eagles are scheduled to play Highland on Oct. 2. That game could also be in jeopardy considering that Skyline would have no time to prepare for that game.

The game between Skyline and Brighton was originally scheduled for Friday.

Skyline is the latest football program to cancel a game due to players testing positive for COVID-19. Three players on the Bingham team tested positive last month, forcing the cancellation of its season-opening game against Weber.

Support free news for Utah

sltrib.com is now free to access — no subscription required. We made this decision because we believe access to trustworthy, independent news shouldn’t depend on what you can afford — especially as misinformation and AI-generated content continue to rise.

Free to read doesn’t mean free to produce. Our reporters show up every day to ask hard questions and hold powerful institutions to account. That work takes resources. As a nonprofit newsroom, we rely on support from people who believe it matters. Make a donation today to fund local news that serves Utah communities.

You can help us bring more local news to more communities today.